Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Why I Support the Ohio River Trail: Don Mills

For the 30 plus years I used biking as cross training for racquet sports. Street biking seemed a little bit too hazardous, so I started using the Little Miami Scenic Trail.

Being a long time resident of Terrace Park, I was embarrassed by the community's blockage of the continuation of the LMST through "The Park". Upon my retirement in 1999 I undertook to facilitate the extension of the LMST through "The Park".

Subsequently I became involved with the Ohio River Way and its goal to extend recreational trails 25 miles east and west of Cincinnati along the Ohio River. In order to accomplish the aforementioned goal it was first necessary to connect the LMST to downtown Cincinnati, then New Richmond, then to Lawrenceburg and finally to Maysville.

It became apparent that the proposed trail next to the Ohio River was not realistic is my lifetime and an alternate route seemed a more likely solution - the dormant Oasis railroad line. After many hours of talking and walking with various government officials The Ohio River Way became convinced that this was the best solution for the good of Cincinnati. Thus the Ohio River Trail plan we know today was born.

Please support The Ohio River Trail.

-- Don Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment